Monday, August 29, 2011

A Disturbing Trend or How I Started Watching Dr. Who.


There's a pattern that has emerged in my life. It goes like this:

  1. Henry's friends, loved one, or the internet expresses an interest in or love of something.
  2. Henry dismisses this thing as stupid and definitely not cool or awesome.
  3. Somehow, after a great period of time, Henry is convinced to try it.
  4. Henry loves this thing.
It's mostly a pattern relating to television shows, but other things have certainly followed in this pattern. The list includes Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a show which cannot be named (it is far too shameful), Harry Potter, books (in general), Gilmore Girls, cats, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, World of Warcraft and, most recently, Dr. Who. 

I've been resistant to Dr. Who for quite some time. I'd even watched some episodes one Christmas while at Sarah's parent's house and felt no attraction. We had tried some on Netflix before and felt no pull. Then, Sarah tried the Matt Smith series. She found it to be much better and more interesting than any that we had watched before. It consumed her, drawing in her free time. 

She asked me to try it.

I didn't want to, but she really wanted me to. She swore it was much better than what we had seen before.

And damnit...

It was.

I/We have currently watched five episodes of season 5 (as it is labeled on Netflix) and are looking forward to catching up to the current stuff and the archive of seasons gone by. Why does this keep happening to me? What will be next? I fear for myself.