Friday, September 23, 2011

Stories from the Past: The Nintendo Website at Summer Camp

Why did you forsake me!?
It was the summer between 5th and 6th grade. I was at a summer camp at UCA called Summer Discovery. It was the kind of summer camp where you take classes. One of the classes I took was on computers and the internet. We had a project we had to do where we had to pick and present a website to everyone else in the class. 

For my website, I had chosen the Nintendo website. So I spent the few class periods before getting ready, navigating around and making sure that I knew where everything was. Except I was really anxious about presenting the Nintendo website. 

Why was I anxious?

I didn't want people to think I was a geek/nerd/dork. Yes, I was very self-conscious about my video game playing habits, especially around girls. And, seeing as the girl-that-I-liked-at-summer-camp was also in the class with me, this gave me great anxiety. I remember trying to think of or find a different website that I could do, but nothing seemed good and it was too late.

Then the day of the presentations came, and I remember going up to the computer that was having its contents projected onto the screen and typing in the url. 


Enter

Oh no. What? This is wrong. This is all wrong.

They had redesigned their website so that it was different that day! Now, not only would I seem like a terrible NERD, but I'd seem like a terribly unprepared NERD. I fumbled around the site for a while, having trouble with it's newer, sleeker design. Fortunately, the words that showed different categories still meant the same thing. 

Then I wanted to die. I just wanted to die. I went to the back of the classroom and just tried to not be noticed. Honestly, nobody probably realized that I had no idea what was going on. Nobody probably thought I was a dork either. My self-esteem was pretty low back then, and I was really self-conscious.